I am very happy to announce that the Plus One Collection 2011 photo book is finally available! I was honored having the chance to contribute one photo to this great project proposed and spearheaded by Ivan Makarov.
The idea is simple:
We, a group of photographers from an online community on social network Google+ thought, hey, why not publish a photography book together? We spend a lot of time talking photography online, share and look at each other’s work, and even meet together to socialize and shoot. Why not collaborate on a project together? That’s how the idea of this book was born. When the call to contribute came, 520 photographers, both known and less known, from all over the world responded, willing to donate their art for the project.
So why publish this book? Two reasons.
First, we wanted to see each other’s work in print. In today’s digital world, most photographs aren’t printed, and never become something tangible. Looking at photographs printed on paper is a very powerful experience. When photographs are tangible, they tend to last longer – in our minds and in our art collections.
Second, by publishing the book, we hope to raise funds for a good cause to give back to our world. All net proceeds from the sales of the book will be donated to Kiva, a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty.
The book is published in three formats – (1) print edition containing 192 photographs, (2) ebook containing the work of all 520 photographers, (3) iOS mobile app, also containing all photographs in the project.
- Collectors’ Edition of Plus One Collection printed version is being released on February 9 and will be available for order until February 20th. Standard edition and ebook will be released on February 21st
- Collectors’ Edition of Plus One Collection will be fulfilled by our team (Ivan and the Crew). Standard print edition of the book will be fulfilled through the publishing company Blurb
- Photographers of all levels are represented - established professionals, up and coming artists, and amateurs just picking up photography
- Photographers contributing to the project are from all four continents, representing 53 countries. Less than 50% are from the USA
- Photographs in the book are just as diverse, representing all styles of today’s photography
- Book’s editor and project manager is Ivan Makarov – you can find him here
- The book is designed by design professional, Andy Lee, who volunteered his time to put the book together
- A team of 11 photographers chose the images for the print edition. The PDF and mobile app will include ALL photographs submitted to the project
- The total team working on the project consisted of 15 volunteers – none paid
- Google+ page is here
Each book will be printed large (11″ x 13″ landscape), and on premium fine art ProLine paper. Each copy will be numbered and include a certificate of authenticity. In addition, each book will come with a tipped-in print of one of the images in the book (prints are 6″ x 9″ on 8″ x 11.5″ paper). Prints are printed on archival paper to museum standards using UltraChrome K3 inks and will last close to 100 years with proper care.
The orders for the Collectors’ Limited Edition will only be taken from February 9 through February 20. No orders for that edition of the book will be taken after that date, and only one run of the Collectors’ Limited Edition will be done.
Besides being a fine art book, each sale of the Collector’s Limited Edition will generate close to $50 for Kiva.
The standard version of the book will be available to order after February 21.
To order the Collectors’ Limited Edition of Plus One Collection, use the links below for US/Canada and International orders. The orders will be processed through Paypal and will ship in early March, if not sooner.
*While all net proceeds from sales of the book will be donated to Kiva, please note that your purchase of the book is not tax deductible.